January 31st is National Hot Chocolate Day
Here are today’s five thing to know about Hot Chocolate:
- What’s the difference between Hot Chocolate and Hot Cocoa? Hot Chcolate uses milk or milk chocolate while Hot Cocoa uses only powdered cocoa
- The first hot chocolate was Mayan, and it was served with chili peppers!
- In Spain, hot chocolate with churros is considered a working man’s breakfast.
- Hot chocolate has antioxidants and flavonols, very healthy nutrients. Just skip the sugar.
- Chocolate is the 3rd most traded commodity in the world. 1st is oils, 2nd is coffee.
Today’s Pinterest Board : Foodimentary
Today’s Food History
- 1893 The Coca-Cola trademark was recorded.
- 1930 Scotch tape was developed by Richard Drew of the 3M Company.
- 1980 Due to record high sugar prices, Coca Cola begins substituting high fructose corn syrup for half of the sucrose (sugar) used in Coca Cola.
- 1990 The first McDonald’s restaurant in Moscow, Russia opens.
- 2001 Germany announced plans to destroy 400k cattle due to the mad cow crises. We know it now as Mad Cow Disease
Check out my book!