February 2 is National Tater Tot Day
National Tater Tot Day
Also: African Heritage & Health Week
Did you know:
- Tater Tots were first invented in 1953 at the Ore-Ida Labs
- Tater Tots literally mean “baby potatoes”; tatter for potato & tots meaning little one
- Americans consume over 70 million pounds or Tots per year.
Daily Quote:“A man who has nothing to boast of but his ancestors is like a potato – the best part under ground.”~Thomas Overbury
Daily Trivia: Potatoes are the 4th most important crop in the world after wheat, rice & corn?
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
- 1795 The French government offers a prize of 12,000 francs for a method of preserving food for transport to the French army. It was eventually won by Nicholas Appert who invented a successful method to can food.
- 1820 Jean Etienne Bore, died. Inventor of the sugar granulating process, founder of the sugar industry in Louisiana.
- 1869 The removable steel plow blade is invented by James Oliver.
- 1887 The first Groundhog day is observed in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania.
- 1892 William Painter received a patent for the crown-cork bottle cap with a cork seal. It was used up until the 1970s, when the cork liner was replaced with a plastic liner.
- 1897 Alfred L. Cralle of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, patented an ice cream scooper. His basic design is still used today.
- 1913 Carl Gustaf Patrik de Laval died. A Swedish scientist and inventor. Among his inventions was the centrifugal cream separator and a vacuum milking machine.