Happy National Chocolate Parfait Day!
Five Food Finds about Parfait:
- Dark chocolate has more antioxidants than green tea and just as many as blueberries.
- White chocolate really isn’t chocolate. It’s made from cocoa butter, the substance you get by pressing cocoa beans. Cocoa butter is absent of the cocoa solids used to make chocolate.
- Chocolate was consumed by the ancient Aztecs as a frothy beverage, somewhat like hot chocolate we drink today.
- Chocolate comes from a plant, called Theobroma cacao, which translates “Food of the Gods”.
- Eating chocolate can also reduce the symptoms of stress.
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
1683 Supposedly, a patent for a system of extracting salt from sea water was granted in England.
1841 The first wagon train left Independence, Missouri for California.
1851 London’s Great Exhibition opened in Hyde Park. It was the first international exhibition ever to be held. The Exhibition was housed in the Crystal Palace.
1889 Bayer introduced aspirin powder in Germany.
1927 Imperial Airways became the first British airline to serve hot meals.
1931 Empire State Building opens. It was built on the site of the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel
1971 ‘Brown Sugar’ by the Rolling Stones is released.
1991 Charles Elton died. Elton was an English biologist who first developed the idea of a ‘food chain.’
2001 Hindus in Seattle filled suit against McDonald’s restaurant chain for not disclosing the use of beef flavoring in its French Fries.
2005 A 9 foot, 640 pound freshwater catfish was caught by fishermen in northern Thailand on the Mekong River. According to many, this is the largest freshwater fish ever caught.