June 2nd is National Rocky Road Day!
Did you know…
- It takes 12 lbs. of milk to make just one gallon of ice cream.
- The U.S. enjoys an average of 48 pints of ice cream per person, per year, more than any other country.
- It takes an average of 50 licks to polish off a single-scoop ice cream cone.
- The biggest ice cream sundae in history was made in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, in 1988, and weighed in at over 24 tons.
- In 2003, Portland, Oregon bought more ice cream per person than any other U.S. city.
Today’s Food History
- 1851 Maine was the first state to ban alcohol.
- 1886 U.S. President Grover Cleveland married Frances Folsom, with the ceremony taking place in the White House. Cleveland is the only President to be married in the White House.
- 1920 ‘Chili Bean’ was recorded by Frank Crumit and the Pauld Biese Trio.
- 1928 Velveeta Cheese was created by Kraft. It was packaged in a tin-foil lined wooden box. When melted, it was as smooth as velvet, hence its name.
- 1970 Eight species of whale were placed on the Endangered Species List.
- 1972 ‘The Candy Man’ by Sammy Davis Jr. is #1 on the charts.
- 2003 The USDA declared that frozen, batter coated french fries are fresh vegetables. A federal judge upheld the rule in June, 2004, declaring that the term “fresh vegetables” was ambiguous.
- In 1981 the USDA (United States Department of Agriculture) had unsuccessfully tried to classify ketchup and pickle relish as vegetables. Public protest caused them to drop the idea.
- 2009 Food Fight News: Five students were arrested and taken away in handcuffs after a yogurt and taco salad food fight at a Portage, Wisconsin high school.
Categories: Food Holidays, June Food Holidays