June 10th is National Iced Tea Day
Posted on June 10, 2016
Did you know…
- A cup of black tea has half as much caffeine as a cup of coffee.
- Drinking milk may mean stronger bones, but the same goes for a cup of tea!
- In one day, an experienced tea picker can collect around 70 pounds of tea! That’s enough tea to make 14000 cups! Talk about filling a quota.
- A large amount of caffeine is released from tea after the first 30 seconds of brewing. Dumping this content out and pouring new hot water is a neat trick for caffeine conscience tea drinkers.
- There are four main types of tea: white, green, oolong, and black. But depending on the influence of culture, these four types can turn into thousands of varieties.
Today’s Food History
- 1869 Frozen food was shipped long distance for the first time. Frozen Texas beef shipped by steamship to New Orleans.
- 1943 Laslo Biro patented the ball point pen.
- 1952 Mylar was registered as a DuPont trademark. Mylar is a very strong polyester film that has gradually replaced cellophane. It is used as a food wrap in addition to many other non-food uses.
- 1965 Jimmy Chamberlain of the music group ‘The Smashing Pumpkins’ was born.
- 1971 ‘Want Ads’ by Honey Cone is #1 on the charts
- 1973 William Motter Inge died. An American playwright, he was the author of ‘Picnic’ which was also filmed in 1956.
- 1985 A ‘Most Embarrassing Moment’: Coca Cola announced it was bringing back the old formula Coke, to replace the New Coke nobody wanted.
- 1990 Burger King began using Newman’s Own Salad Dressings