June 28th is National Tapioca Day
Five Food Finds about Tapioca:
- Tapioca is obtained from the fleshy root of the bitter cassava .
- Tapioca is sold in flake or flour form and as the pellet pearl tapioca.
- Tapioca flour is widely used in place of wheat flour in regions where it is grown, e.g., South and Central America, Africa, the West Indies, and parts of India.
- When cooked it becomes transparent and increases in size.
- It is used to thicken puddings and soups.
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
1491 Henry VIII of England born. He had a reputation for being self indulgent, and was frequently represented eating a large drumstick.
1887 Coca-Cola syrup and extract were patented.
1932 Noriyuki ‘Pat’ Morita was born. A Japanese American actor, one of his roles was Arnold, cook and owner of Arnold’s Drive In restaurant on the TV show ‘Happy Days’ (1974-1984).
1988 The poisoned olive oil trial. The longest trial in Spanish history ended after 15 months. 1,500 witnesses were questioned to help decide who was responsible for poisoning 25,000 Spaniards in the toxic olive oil case. More than 600 died from the cheap olive oil, and thousands more were left partially paralyzed or suffering from other ailments in one of the worst public health disasters in modern history.
1997 Boxer Mike Tyson bites a big chunk off Evander Holyfield’s ear in the 3rd round of a boxing match. He was disqualified.