August 11th is National Panini Day!
Celebrate the Panini!
- August 11, 2015 is the first ‘official, National Panini Day*
- The first U.S. reference to panini, a ‘pan warmed Italian sandwich’ dates to 1956 in an article about an Italian street fair.
- Panini’s are said to have originated in Lombardy, Italy, in response to the demand among Milanese office workers for a quick lunch without sacrifice in flavor and quality
- In the late 1970s & 1980s. Trendy U.S. restaurants, particularly in New York, began selling panini’s.
- In many English-speaking countries, a panino , from Italian, meaning “small bread, bread roll” is a grilled sandwich made from baked roll or any thing other than sliced bread.
*A day proclaimed by Foodimentary, the interest source fore Food Holidays and celebrations since 2006
Today’s Food History
- 1858 Christiaan Eijkman was born. A Dutch physician who discovered that beriberi was caused by a poor diet (a lack of vitamin B1), which eventually led to the discovery of vitamins.
- 1874 Harry S. Parmelee of New Haven, Connecticut patented the sprinkler head.
- 1949 Eric Carmen of the music group ‘The Raspberries’ was born.
- 1962 Booker T and the MG’s released their instrumental single ‘Green Onions’.
- 1992 The Mall of America opened in Bloomington, Minnesota. It was the largest shopping mall in the U.S.