August 17th is National Vanilla Custard Day!
Posted on August 17, 2016
Here are today’s five thing to know about Vanilla Custard
- Custard is a variety of culinary preparations based on a cooked mixture of milk or cream and egg yolk.
- Depending on how much egg or thickener is used, custard may vary in consistency from a thin pouring sauce (crème anglaise), to a thick pastry cream used to fill éclairs.
- The most common custards are used as desserts or dessert sauces and typically include sugar and vanilla.
- Custard bases may also be used for quiches and other savory foods.
- Sometimes flour, corn starch, or gelatin is added as in pastry cream or creme patissiere.
Today’s Food History
- 1925 John Hawkes was born. American avant-garde novelist, author of ‘Blood Oranges’, ‘The Lime Twig’, ‘The Goose on the Grave’, etc.
- 1947 Gary Talley of the music group ‘The Box Tops’ was born.
- 1986 A bronze statue of a pig was dedicated at Seattle’s Pike Place Market.