August 27th is National Burger Day!
Today’s burger trivia:
- The oldest fast food restaurant in the world is the White Castle franchise, which opened in 1921.
- The people of America eat more burgers out at restaurants or on the go than they do at home.
- The largest hamburger ever created was over 8,000 pounds and was cooked for a burger festival in Wisconsin.
- However, the hamburger in its current form, with ground beef and a bun, is a decidedly American creation.
- Hamburgers are made of beef, not ham, and there is much debate over whether they actually originated in Hamburg.
Today’s Food History
- 1940 The London production of ‘Apple Sauce’ opened at the Holborn Empire Theatre.
- 1944 Tim Bogert of the Rock group Vanilla Fudge was born.
- 1949 Jeff Cook of the music group ‘Alabama’ was born.
- 1970 ‘Spill The Wine’ by Eric Burdon & War is #1 on the charts