September 16th is National Cinnamon-Raisin Bread Day!
Posted on September 16, 2016
Here are today’s five thing to know about Bread:
- It takes 9 seconds for a combine to harvest enough wheat to make about 70 loaves of bread.
- Each American consumes, on average, 53 pounds of bread per year.
- An average slice of packaged bread contains only 1 gram of fat and 75 to 80 calories.
- One bushel of wheat will produce 73 one-pound loaves of bread.
- Breaking bread is a universal sign of peace.
Today’s Food History
- 1380 Charles V of France Died.
* It was Charles V who commissioned Taillevent to write what would become the first professional cookery book written in France, ‘Le Viandier’.
* Forks were mentioned in an inventory during his reign
* Some believe that he died as a result of eating amanita mushrooms.
- 1630 Shawmut changed its name to Boston. If not for this, we might be eating Shawmut Baked Beans and Shawmut Cream Pie today!
- 1736 Daniel Gabriel Fahrenheit died. Fahrenheit was a German physicist who invented the Fahrenheit temperature scale thermometer. It was the first thermometer to use mercury instead of alcohol, which also extended the temperature range of thermometers.
- 1835 Charles Darwin arrived at the Galapagos islands aboard the HMS Beagle. The unique fauna he observed on the various islands there helped in forming his theory of natural selection.
- 1919 Marvin P. Middlemark was born. He invented the TV ‘rabbit ear’ antenna, and among other minor inventions, a water powered potato peeler.
- 1947 The first aluminum foil, Reynolds Metals ‘Reynolds Wrap’ goes on sale.