November 7th is National Chocolate Almonds Day!
Here are today’s five food things to know about chocolate almonds:
Almonds are in the peach family. Seriously, the pits DO look similar:
Americans collectively eat about 100 pounds of chocolate every second.
Raw almonds are best for you!
Chocolate business matters was the reason Milton Hershey cancelled his Titanic trip last minute.
Eating dark chocolate reduces the risk of heart disease.
Today’s Food History
- 1857 H.N. Wadsworth received the first American toothbrush patent.
- 1872 The ‘Mary Celeste’ sailed for Genoa from New York with a cargo of 1700 barrels of alcoholic spirits. The ship was found abandoned near the Azores, the captain, his wife and daughter and 7 crewmen missing, and no sign of violence. The captain, his family and the crew were never seen again.
- 1913 Alfred Russel Wallace died. Wallace was a British naturalist who developed a theory of natural selection independently of Charles Darwin. He sent his conclusions to Darwin, and their findings were both presented to the Linnaean Society in 1858.
- 1965 The Pillsbury Doughboy, ‘Poppin’ Fresh,’ was born. He made his debut in a commercial for crescent rolls.
- 2006 The Nevada Clean Indoor Air Act was approved by state voters. It bans smoking in all bars and restaurants. It becomes effective on December 8.