March 10 is National Ranch Dressing Day!
Posted on March 9, 2017
5 facts about Ranch Dressing:
- In 1954 ranch dressing was invented at Hidden Valley Ranch, a dude ranch near Santa Barbara, California.
- Ranch dressing has been the best-selling salad dressing in the United States since 1992, overtaking Italian dressing.
- Hidden Valley brand owns the right to ‘the Original Ranch®‘ After decades of trademark lawsuits similar products can be labeled ‘ranch style’ or simply ‘ranch’
- While popular in the United States and Canada, ranch dressing is virtually unknown in most of the world
- Since 1972 Hidden Valley Ranch has been owned by Clorox.
On This Day in Food History…
1845 RIP John Chapman, ‘Johnny Appleseed’ ,an American pioneer and legend, he planted apple seeds in the Ohio River valley area (Ohio, Indiana, Illinois)
1867 Lillian D. Wald was born. She was a scientist and nurse, and among her activities, she helped initiate the enactment of pure food laws in the U.S.
1873 RIP John Torrey, he was the first professional botanist in the New World.
1914 At the National Gallery in London, a suffragette slashed Diego Velázquez’s ‘Rokeby Venus’ with a meat cleaver.