March 11th is National Eat Your Noodles Day!
Posted on March 11, 2017
Interesting Food Facts about Noodles
- Dry noodles are considered a form of unleavened bread.
- In China archaeologists discovered the world’s oldest bowl of noodles, thought to be over 4000 years old. They were made of millet flour.
- “Instant” noodles were invented in 1958. They are flash fried then quickly dried. This made for a long shelf life.(If they are kept dry, some say they will remain edible for decades)
- Over 40% of the flour in Asia is used to make noodles. Feeding over half of the world’s population.
- Thomas Jefferson brought the first “macaroni” noodles to America in 1789 after returning from a trip to France.
In Japan, it is considered good form to loudly slurp your noodles as a way of telling your host that you are enjoying the meal.
Noodles symbolize long life in Chinese culture.
Today’s Food History
- 1791 Samuel Mulliken of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania received a patent for a machine to thresh corn and grain.
- 1853 Self rising flour was supposedly invented by Henry Jones of Bristol.
- 1903 Lawrence Welk, champagne music-maker, was born.