April 27th is National Prime Rib Day!
Here are today’s five food finds about Prime Rib:
- A standing rib roast is a prime rib consisting of SEVEN ribs.
- A scooped & tied standing rib roast will have the bones taken off and then tied back on.
- A rib eye roast is a boneless prime rib.
- The beef is cut from the rib section, the largest central area of the steer, located in between the chuck and the short loin, just above the plate.
- If choosing a prime rib at the butcher, look for a cut that has a bright color and milky white fat.
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
- 1773 The British Parliament passed the ‘Tea Act,’ one of the events that led to the American Revolution.
- 1865 Cornell University was chartered. Cornell is an agricultural land grant university endowed by Ezra Cornell, one of the founders of Western Union Telegraph Co. Today, Cornell University in Ithaca, New York, offers many programs, including Agricultural and Life Sciences, Hotel Administration, and Nutritional Sciences.
- 1871 The American Museum of Natural History in New York City was opened to the public.
- 1902 Julius Sterling Morton died. He was the founder of Arbor Day, first observed in Nebraska on April 10, 1872. Over one million trees were planted.
- 1947 Pete Ham of the rock group Badfinger was born.
- 1965 R. C. Duncan was granted a patent for ‘Pampers’ disposable diapers.
- 1995 On ‘Seinfeld’ Kramer began sculpting with pasta.