Here are today’s five interesting food facts about Oatmeal:
- Oats were one of the earliest cereals cultivated by man. They were known in ancient China as long ago as 7,000 B.C. The ancient Greeks were the first people known to have made a recognizable porridge (cereal) from oats.
- Oatmeal cookies are the #1 non-cereal usage for oatmeal, followed by meatloaf and fruit crisp.
- Seventy-five percent of U.S. households have oatmeal in their cupboard.
- The portrait of the Quaker man on the Quaker® Oats package has been updated just three times since its creation in 1877, once in 1946, again in 1957 and, most recently, in 1972.
- Quaker Oats was the first U.S. breakfast cereal to receive a registered trademark, the first to offer a recipe and a premium on its package, and the first to offer trial-size samples.
Today’s Food History
- 1936 Canned beer is sold to the public in Britain for the first time, by Felinfoel Brewery in Wales.
- 1942 Clinton Hart Merriam died. A biologist, he studied the effects of using birds to control agricultural pests. He also helped found the National Geographic Society, and what is now known as the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service