May 23rd is National Taffy Day!
Here are today’s five food facts about Taffy:
- Salt water taffy was “invented” in Atlantic City in 1883.
- Modern technology allows confectioners to produce 1,000 pieces of taffy a minute.
- In one hour enough pieces of taffy are made to cover one third of the length of Atlantic City (about 1.3 miles).
- The three most popular taffy flavors sold by Sweet Candy Company are peppermint, cinnamon and chocolate.
- America celebrates National Taffy Day May 23rd.
Today’s Food History
- 1774 Residents of Chestertown, Maryland react to news of the Boston Tea Party by staging a similar protest, dumping a shipment of tea into the Chester River.
- 1868 R.I.P. Kit Carson, American frontiersman. His last words were supposedly “Wish I had time for just one more bowl of chili.”
- 1922 Thomas Edison patented a method for making metal foils.
- 1960 R.I.P. Georges Claude. A French engineer, he invented the neon light, commonly used for signs.
- 1968‘Yummy, Yummy, Yummy’ by the Ohio Express is #1 on the charts.