June 3rd is National Egg Day
Did you know…
- The U.S. produced over 90 billion eggs a year
- An egg’s shell has as about 17,000 tiny pores on the surface of the shell.
- A hen requires about 24 to 26 hours to produce one egg.
- Around 2/3 of chicken eggs produced in the U.S. each year are sold in the shell. The other 1/3 break or are too flawed to sell in the shell.
- An average hen lays an average of 266 eggs per year. Some new breads can produce as many as 371 eggs per year.
Today’s Food History
- 1539 Hernando De Soto claimed Florida for Spain
- 1805 Adolphe Duglere was born. A pupil of Careme, head chef of the Rothschild family, and head chef of the famous 19th century Paris restaurant, the Cafe Anglais.
- 1841 R.I.P. Nicolas Francois Appert. Inventor of the canning process, preserving food by sealing it in sterilized containers. He published the results of 14 years of research in 1810 & received 12,000 franc award from French government.
- 1944 Michael Clark of the music group ‘Flying Burrito Brothers’ was born.
- 1964 T.S. Eliot wrote to Groucho Marx: “The picture of you in the newspaper saying that, amongst other reasons, you have come to London to see me has greatly enhanced my credit line in the neighborhood, and particularly with the greengrocer across the street.”
- 1970 R.I.P. Emmett J. Culligan. He was the founder of the water treatment company that carries his name. (“Hey, Culligan man!”).
- 1970 Ray Davies of the Kinks traveled round trip from New York to London to change 2 words in the song ‘Lola,’ (Coca-Cola to Cherry Cola) because of a BBC ban on commercial references.