June 20th is National Vanilla Milkshake Day
Five Food Finds about Vanilla Milkshakes:
- The first known printed reference to a “milkshake” dates back to 1885. It contained one part whiskey, ‘for medicinal purposes’.
- ‘Shakes’ got their name from being served in bars. If the customer enjoyed the specialty drink, he shook hands with the bartender. If not, the bartender wouldn’t get a tip.
- The first diner milkshakes were made with a mixture of milk, malt and a flavoring(vanilla, chocolate, etc.). The malt added an ‘ice cream’ texture to the drink.
- The electric blender was invented in 1922 JUST for the making of milkshakes. amilkshake are referred to as a “frappe” (the e is silent)
- In parts of New England, a milkshake is often referred to as a “frappe” (the e is silent)
Today’s Food History
- 1861 Sir Frederick Gowland Hopkins was born. He discovered what we now call ‘vitamins,’ essential nutrients needed to maintain health.
- 1948 The TV show ‘Toast of the Town’ premiers on CBS with Ed Sullivan as the host.
- 1964 ‘Chapel of Love’ by Dixie Cups is #1 on the charts
- 1977 The trans-Alaska oil pipeline opened. It takes oil 38 days to travel 800 miles from the fields in Prudhoe Bay to the port of Valdez.
Categories: Food Holidays, June Food Holidays
You must be logged in to post a comment.