June 29th is National Almond Buttercrunch Day
Posted on June 29, 2017
Five Food Finds about Almonds:
- There are 5,639 people in the U.S. listed on whitepages.com with the last name ‘Almond’.
- Chocolate manufacturers use 40% of the worlds almonds (2008).
- California produced 998 million pounds of almonds in 2004. The largest crop on record was in 2002, with 1.084 billion pounds.
- It takes more than 1.2 million bee hives to pollinate California’s Almond crop (over 550,000 acres).
- Chocolate manufacturers currently use 40 percent of the world’s almonds and 20 percent of the world’s peanuts.
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
1943 General Eisenhower requested that Coca-Cola provide 10 portable bottling plants for U.S. troops overseas.
1966 The Barclaycard was introduced by Barclays Bank, the first credit card in Britain.
1967 Jayne Mansfield R.I.P. American beauty contest winner, stage and screen actress. Supposedly the only title she ever turned down was ‘Miss Roquefort Cheese,’ because she believed it “just didn’t sound right.”
1997 ‘Say You’ll Be There’ by the Spice Girls is #1 on the charts
2005 The USDA confirmed today the first domestic case of mad cow disease. The 12 year old cow was born in Texas