August 19th is National Soft Serve Ice Cream Day!
Posted on August 18, 2017
Here are today’s 5 amazing Ice Cream facts:
- An average dairy cow can produce enough milk in her lifetime to make a little over 9,000 gallons of ice cream.
- The first ice cream recipe was handwritten in the recipe book of Lady Anne Fanshawe in 1665
- Chocolate ice cream was invented long before vanilla, and the first documented recipe for it appeared in the book The Modern Steward, published in Italy in 1692.
- In the U.S., all ice cream needs to have a minimum of 10% milkfat if it is to be labeled “ice cream”. This includes custard based (French Style) ice creams.
- The Häagen-Dazs brand was established by two Americans – Reuben and Rose Mattus – and the name was made up to sound Danish and sophisticated. The Danish language does not actually use umlauts.
Today’s Food History
- 1851 Charles E. Hires was born. Manufacturer and inventor of Hires Root Beer.
- 1856 Gail Borden was granted a patent for a process to make condensed milk, which he developed in 1853.
- 1887 Spencer Fullerton Baird died. An American naturalist and zoologist, he was the second Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution.
- 1947 J. Arens and D. van Villages synthesized vitamin A.
- 1996 Miss Universe was told to lose 27 pounds or lose her crown.