Did you know?
Boston Cream Pie was invented at Boston’s Parker House around 1912.
A dessert cook at the time was Ho Chi Minh,
the future Communist leader of North Vietnam
Here are today’s five thing to know about Boston Cream Pie:
- A Boston cream pie is a cake that is filled with a custard or cream filling and frosted with chocolate.
- Although it is called a Boston cream pie, it is in fact a cake, and not a pie.
- Boston cream pie was created by Armenian-French chef M. Sanzian at Boston’s Parker House Hotel in 1856,
- The Boston cream pie is the official dessert of Massachusetts, declared as such in 1996.
- A Boston cream doughnut is a name for a Berliner filled with vanilla custard or crème pâtissière and topped with icing made from chocolate.
Today’s Food History
- 1752 Nicolas Appert was born. (The year is listed in various sources as 1749, 1750 and 1752; month and day also varies in October and November). Inventor of the canning process, preserving food by sealing it in sterilized containers. He published the results of 14 years of research in 1810 & received 12,000 franc award from French government.
- 1921 Edward A. Doisy died. He discovered vitamin K.
- 1943 Barbara Ann Hawkins of the vocal group ‘The Dixie Cups’ was born
- 1947 Greg Ridley of the music group ‘Humble Pie’ was born.
Check out my book!