January 19th is National Popcorn Day!!
Posted on January 19, 2018
Happy National Popcorn Day!
Do you like your popcorn salty, buttery and sugary? Do tell!
Here are today’s five things to know about popcorn:
Popcorn is the world’s most popular snack food.
Popcorn is also the most profitable snack food, with over 1 thousand percent mark up.
Evidence of popcorn from 3600 BCE was found in New Mexico and even earlier evidence dating to perhaps as early as 4700 BCE was found in Peru.
Some popcorn has been found in early 1900s to be a purple color.
At least six localities (all in the Midwestern United States) claim to be the “Popcorn Capital of the World”: Ridgway, Illinois; Valparaiso, Indiana; Van Buren, Indiana; Schaller, Iowa; Marion, Ohio; and North Loup, Nebraska.
Today’s Food History
- 1825 The first U.S. patent for food storage in cans was granted to Ezra Daggett & Thomas Kensett of New York City, after developing the process in 1819.(it took over 30 years to invent the can open. Before then they were opened with knives or rods)
- 1915 George Claude of Paris was issued a U.S. patent for a neon tube advertising sign.(The first neon sign in Time Square was of a Heinz pickle)
- 1919 A huge wave of molasses kills dozens, Boston. Said to have been 45 ft high and 100ft wide.
- 1939 On this day in history, Wisconsin native Ernest Hausen sets the world chicken-plucking record at 4.4 seconds
- 1973 Iceland’s Cod War begins. Britain sends a Super Tug “The Statesman” to defend British fishermen against tactics such as wire cutting by the Icelandic Fishermen & Patrol Boats
- 2010 Kraft attempted a hostile bid for Cadbury’s.