February 14th is National Cream-Filled Chocolates Day!
Five Food Find about Valentine’s Day Candy
In the 1800’s, physicians commonly advised their lovelorn patients to eat chocolate to calm their pining.
More than 36 million heart-shaped boxes of chocolate will be sold for Valentine’s Day.
At one time, conversation candies were made into shapes including horseshoes, baseballs, and watches.
At least 10 new conversation heart sayings are introduced each year. Recent additions include “Yeah Right,” “Call Home” and “Puppy Love.”
It is believed that Madame Du Barry served chocolate to all her suitors; Casanova consumed chocolate instead of champagne to induce romance; and Montezuma, the king of the ancient Aztecs, believed chocolate would make him virile.
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
- 1779 RIP Captain James Cook, British explorer who charted and named many Pacific Islands, including the Sandwich Islands (Hawaii).
- 1803 Moses Coats patented an apple parer.
- 1838 Margaret E. Knight was born. An American inventor, she invented an improved paper bag machine to make bags with flat bottoms.
- 1886 California oranges were first shipped East by rail.
- 1903 The U.S. Department of Commerce and Labor was established.
- 2003 Dolly the sheep died. Dolly was the first animal cloned from an adult animal. (Born July 5, 1996)
Check out my book!