February 21st is National Pancake Day*
Posted on February 21, 2018
Many consider this National Pancake Day! So celebrate!
Many celebrate today with rolled thin pancakes topped with caster sugar(powdered) a dash of lemon juice and a dollop of jelly or jam
Here are today’s five thing to know about Pancake:
- Throughout Europe most people celebrate Shrove Tuesday with pancakes
- Pancakes are associated with the day before lent because it was a way to use up “rich foods” such as eggs, milk, & sugar, before the 40 days fast begins
- The word ‘shrove’ refers to an old English word shrive meaning ‘confess’
- Most people call today Mardi Gras, which in French means Fat Tuesday. Marking seven weeks before Easter Day.
- In Iceland they celebrate today with salted meats, fish, and peas. Known as Sprengidagur (Bursting Day)
Today’s Pinterest Board : Foodimentary
Today’s Food History
- 1554 Hieronymus Bock died. A German botanist whose work contributed to the transition from medieval beliefs to modern science.
- 1741 Jethro Tull died. He was an English agriculturalist and inventor whose ideas were instrumental in the development of modern English agriculture. One of his inventions was a horse drawn seed planting drill that sowed 3 even rows of seeds at once. (1701). The music group ‘Jethro Tull’ was named for him.
- 1858 Edwin T. Holmes sells the first electric burglar alarm in the U.S., in Boston, Massachusetts. His workshop was later used by Alexander Graham Bell.
- 1895 Carl Peter Henrik Dam was born. Dam was a Danish biochemist who discovered vitamin K in 1939.
- 1927 Erma Bombeck was born. Writer, humorist, you will find some of her quotes about family and food on the Food Reference website.
- 1931 Alka Seltzer was introduced.
- 1985 Nathan Pritikin died. A nutritionist who believed that exercise and a low fat, high unrefined carbohydrate diet helped reverse his own heart disease. He founded the Pritikin Longevity Center in 1976.
- 1989 The USDA approved ‘Simplesse,’ a low calorie fat substitute.
- 1994 Whirlpool began manufacturing a refrigerator that was significantly more efficient, and did not use freon. Freon has been implicated in the destruction of ozone in the atmosphere.
Today’s Pinterest Board at : Foodimentary
Check out my book!