Happy National Sloppy Joe Day!
Today’s 5 Food Facts about Sloppy Joes
- Most believe the sloppy joe was first served in Havannah Cuba at the bar and café “Sloppy Joe’s” in the early 1900’s.
- The sloppy joe goes by many names, including manwich, slush burger, yum yums, and even sloppy jane.
- “Sloppy Joe’s” were mentioned in several movies of the 1930’s, Citizen Kane and even It’s a Wonderful Life. Even though it was not widely popular until the 1960’s.
- In 1969, Hunt’s revolutionized the Sloppy Joe when it introduced its Manwich Sloppy Joe Sauce.
- Many say that a cook named Joe in Iowa during the 1920′s created a sandwich of “loose meat” served in bread, a “sloppy’ Joe.
Today’s Food History
- 1863 Women rioted in Salisbury, North Carolina, to protest the lack of flour and salt in the Confederacy.
- 1925 ‘Tea for Two’ was recorded by Binnie Hale & the Palace Theater Orchestra.
- 1946 The Andrews Sisters recorded ‘Avocado’
- 1966 RIP Hedda Hopper, Gossip columnist. Her famous Quote: “Having only friends [and no enemies] would be dull….like eating eggs without salt.”
Check out my book!