March 29th is National Chiffon Cake Day!
Posted on March 29, 2018
Happy NATIONAL CHIFFON Cake Day!
Just listen.. This is a great cake…
Here are today’s interesting facts about Chiffon Cake:
- Many believe Chiffon cake is the ‘original’ wedding cake filling. A chiffon cake is a very light cake made with vegetable oil, eggs, sugar, flour, baking powder, and flavorings.
- The lack of butter means that chiffon cakes lack much of the rich flavor of butter cakes, and hence they are typically served accompanied with flavorful sauces or other accompaniments, such as chocolate or fruit fillings.
- It is a combination of both batter and foam type cakes.
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
- 1886 Coca-Cola was created by Dr. John Pemberton.
- 1900 Charles Elton was born. Elton was an English biologist who first developed the idea of a ‘food chain.’
- 1848 A huge upstream ice jam stopped almost all water flow over Niagara Falls (both American Falls and the Canadian Horseshoe Falls) for several hours. You could actually walk out into the riverbed below the falls.
- 1903 R.I.P. Gustavus Franklin Swift. Founder of the meat-packing business Swift & Co., the inventor of the refrigerated railway car, and the first to ship ‘dressed’ beef to eastern markets instead of live animals.
- 1980 R.I.P. Walter H. Deubener. He owned the S.S. Kresge grocery store in St. Paul, Minnesota and invented the handled grocery bag.
Check out my book!