April 12th is National Grilled Cheese Day!
Posted on April 12, 2018
Happy Grilled Cheese Day!
Here are today’s five interesting food facts about Grilled Cheese:
- Grilled cheese sandwiches originally showed up in America during the roaring 20’s.
- It is said that grilled cheese was first served as an open-face sandwich.
- A grilled cheese sandwich is often accompanied by tomato soup, a southern delicacy!
- Grilled cheese sandwiches can be served with bacon , tomato, and various other additions. It makes the meal much more filling.
- April is national grilled cheese sandwich month. Be sure to celebrate heartily!
Today’s Food History
- 1748 Antoine-Laurent de Jussieu was born. A French botanist whose ideas formed the foundation of a natural plant classification system.
- 1985 The four ‘unicorns’ of Ringling Brothers Barnum & Bailey Circus were declared to be only goats with surgically implanted horns by federal inspectors. The circus was ordered to stop advertising them as unicorns
- 1988 The first U.S. patent on an animal life form was issued to Harvard scientists for a genetically engineered mouse.
- 1989 The USSR issued ration cards for sugar due to a shortage
- 2001 Maryland banned the farming of genetically modified fish in any waters linked to other bodies of water.
Check out my book!