May 9th is National Shrimp Day !🍤🍤
Here are today’s five food finds about Shrimp:
- The pistol shrimp can deliver an explosive attack hotter than the surface of the sun and loud enough to rupture a human ear drum.
- Every shrimp is actually born male, and some develop into females.
- Some shrimp are actually capable of glowing in the dark.
- Shrimp can vary in size from 1/2 inch to 12 inches.
- In some areas, shrimp served with the head still attached is considered a delicacy.
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
1785 The beer-pump handle was patented by Joseph Bramah.
1845 Carl Gustaf Patrik de Laval was born. A Swedish scientist and inventor. Among his inventions was the centrifugal cream separator and a vacuum milking machine.
1914 C. W. Post (Charles William) died. He founded the Postum Cereal Co. in 1895 (renamed General Foods Corp. in 1922) to manufacture Postum cereal beverage; 1897 Grape Nuts, 1904 Post Toasties (originally called Elijah’s Mana).
1992 The record brown trout weighed over 40 pounds and was caught in Arkansas.
Categories: Daily Food History, Food Facts, Food in May, Food Quotes, May Food Holidays, Today's Food History
You must be logged in to post a comment.