May 19th National Devil’s Food Cake Day!
National Devil’s Food Cake Day 🍫 + 🍰 = 😈😂
Here are today’s five food finds about Devil’s Food Cake:
- Devil’s food cake is considered a counterpart to the white or yellow angel food cake.
- Devil’s food cake is generally more moist and airy than other chocolate cakes, and often uses cocoa as opposed to chocolate for the flavor as well as coffee.
- Devil’s food cake was introduced in the United States in the early 20th century with the recipe in print as early as 1905.
- A similar cake, the red velvet cake, is closely linked to a devil’s food cake, and in some turn of the century cookbooks the two names may have been interchangeable.
- Devil’s food cake incorporates butter (or a substitute), egg whites, flour (while some chocolate cakes are flourless) and less egg than other chocolate cakes.
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
1834 Catharine Furbish was born. An American botanist, she spent almost 40 years traveling and painting watercolors of the flora of the state of Maine.
1910 The Earth passed through the tail of Halley’s Comet and nothing happened. There had been dire predictions that everyone would die, and many hucksters sold ‘comet pills’ to counter the effects of the ‘comet gas.’
1962 Marilyn Monroe sings ‘Happy Birthday’ at a birthday salute to President John F. Kennedy at Madison Square Garden.
2006 Nicole Belinda Franzen Reese was chosen as the 59th ‘Alice in Dairyland’ by the Wisconsin Dept. of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection. She will be the spokesperson for the states agriculture industry.