May 30th is National Mint Julep Day!
Happy National Mint Julep Day!🥃🌱
Here are today’s five facts about Mint Juleps:
- A mint julep is traditionally made with four ingredients: mint leaf, bourbon, sugar, and water.
- Traditionally, spearmint is the mint of choice used in Southern states, and in Kentucky in particular.
- In the use of sugar and mint, it is similar to the mojito.
- Proper preparation of the cocktail is commonly debated, as methods may vary considerably from one bartender to another.
- The mint julep may be considered as one of a loosely associated family of drinks called “smashes” (the brandy smash is another example, as well as the mojito), in which fresh mint and other ingredients are muddled or crushed in preparation for flavoring the finished drink.
Today’s Food History
- 1783 The first daily American newspaper was published in Philadelphia, ‘The Pennsylvania Evening Post’
- 1848 William Young of Baltimore, Maryland received the first U.S. patent for an ice cream freezer.
- 1899 George Cook patented an automatic fishing device.
- 1908 Mel Blanc (Melvin Jerome Blanc) was born. Blanc was a voice actor for Warner Bros. (and other) cartoon characters. Some of the characters he ‘voiced’ include Bugs Bunny, Tweety Bird, Porky Pig, Daffy Duck and Sylvester the Cat.
- 1994 Baron Marcel Bich died. French inventor of the Bic Pen in 1949. (Pens are needed to write recipes and menus).