Cheers! June 19th is National 🍸🍸Martini Day🍸🍸
Happy National Martini Day!🍸
Five Food Finds about the Martini:
- A classic martini is gin or vodka, a splash of dry vermouth (French-white) and an olive or a lemon twist garnish.
- Italian immigrant bartender Martini di Arma di Taggia in New York City is said to have invent the drink around World War I
- If a Martini is shaken it is said to be ‘bruised’ or watered down. Many say stirring the ice will help chill without adding water to the mixture.
- Many think the martini is derived from a British-made rifle called a Martini & Henry used by the English army 1870’s because of its ‘kick’.
- It is said that John D. Rockefeller ‘brought the Martini to Wall Street’ thus establishing the ‘3 martini lunch’
Today’s Food History
- 1912 The United States government adopted an 8-hour work day. (I’m still waiting!)
- 1931 The first commercial doors operated by a photoelectric cell were installed on the swinging doors between the kitchen and dining room of Wilcox’s Pier Restaurant in West Haven, Connecticut.
- 1941 General Mills introduced ‘Cheerioats.’ The name was changed to ‘Cheerios’ in 1945.
- 1978 Garfield, the lasagna eating cat was born. He was brought into this world by cartoonist Jim Davis.
- 1987 Ben & Jerry Ice Cream introduced a new Ice Cream flavor, Cherry Garcia.
- 1993 English author William Golding died. His first novel was ‘Lord of the Flies’ (1954).
Categories: Food Holidays, June Food Holidays