June 26th is National Chocolate Pudding Day
Happy Chocolate Pudding Day!
Here today Pudding Trivia:
- Originally a British dish, this pudding could be made on very short notice.
- Ingredients vary, but it was basically a sweetened porridge made from flour, tapioca or oatmeal and milk. The term originated in the late 16th century.
- In Colonial America cornmeal was cheaper and more readily available, so here, Hasty Pudding was a cornmeal mush (cornmeal added to boiling water and cooked) with molasses, honey, brown sugar or maple syrup and milk.
- There are both savory and dessert versions of this dish.
- An example of a savory version would be a meat pudding.
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
1797 Charles Newbold patented the first cast-iron plow. Farmers had doubts about the effect of the iron on the soil.
1848 The first pure food laws were enacted in the U.S.
1870 The original wooden boardwalk in Atlantic City was built. It was taken up during the winter months, and was replaced with a larger boardwalk in 1880, which was destroyed in a hurricane in 1889. It was rebuilt again, and in 1898 rebuilt with steel.
1910 Roy J. Plunkett was born. He was the inventor of Teflon (Polytetrafluoroethylene) in 1938. The first nonstick cookware using Teflon was sold in 1960.
1949 Larry Taylor of the rock group ‘Canned Heat’ was born.
1959 In Montreal, Queen Elizabeth and President Dwight D. Eisenhower officially open the St. Lawrence Seaway which connects the Great Lakes to the Atlantic Ocean.
1963 President John F. Kennedy said ‘I am a jelly donut’ (Ich bin ein Berliner) in a speech to the citizens of Berlin. He meant to say ‘I am a Berliner’ (Ich bin Berliner). ‘Ein Berliner’ means jelly donut.
1974 A package of Wrigley’s chewing gum with a bar code printed on it was the 1st product logged on the new Universal Product Code system (UPC).
1981 In Mountain Home, Idaho, Virginia Campbell took her coupons and rebates and bought $244.60 worth of groceries. She only paid 67 cents after all the discounts