June 27th is National Orange Blossom Day
Posted on June 27, 2018
Five Food Finds about Oranges:
- Navel oranges are named that because of the belly-button formation opposite the stem end. The bigger the navel in an orange, the sweeter it will be.
- When is an orange green? When it’s a Valencia! Sometimes warm weather causes the skin to regreen, or reabsorb chlorophyll, giving it a greenish color. But it will still taste great.
- Oranges are high in antioxidants, which neutralize the effects of free radicals, unstable oxygen molecules in your body, believed to cause aging and some diseases.
- Moro oranges are also called blood oranges! But don’t worry. That’s just because the pulp is bright red. They’re really a sweet treat.
- After chocolate and vanilla, orange is the world’s favorite flavor.
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
1615 The first tea is imported to the west
1850 Lafcadio Hearn was born. (Patricio Lafcadio Tessima Hearn). A writer, translator and teacher, her wrote ‘La Cuisine Creole,’ the first Creole cookbook.
1893 ‘Happy Birthday to You’ was first published.
1907 Elizabeth Cabot Agassiz died. An American naturalist, co-founder with her husband (Louis Agassiz), of the Anderson School of Natural History. She was also the first president of Radcliffe College.
1970 ‘Vitamin C’ was born. ‘Vitamin C’ is the stage name of singer, actress, Colleen Ann Fitzpatrick.
2001 Actor Jack Lemmon died. A couple of his film titles: ‘The Fortune Cookie,’ and ‘Days of Wine and Roses.’