July 15 is National Tapioca Pudding Day / #NationalTapiocaDay
Posted on July 15, 2018
National Tapioca Pudding Day
Five Food Finds about Tapioca Pudding
- Tapioca pudding (similar to sago pudding) is a sweet pudding made with tapioca and either milk or cream.
- Coconut milk is also used in cases in which the flavor is preferred or in areas in which it is a commonplace ingredient for cooking.
- It is made in many cultures with equally varying styles, and may be produced in a variety of ways. Its consistency ranges from thin (runny), to thick, to firm enough to eat with a fork.
- The pudding can be made from scratch using tapioca in a variety of forms: flakes, coarse meal, sticks, and pearls. Many commercial packaged mixes are also available.
- British schoolchildren have traditionally nicknamed the dish frog spawn, due to its appearance. American children often call it fish eyes and glue.
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
9th or 10 century St. Swithin’s Day. If it rains on St. Swithin’s Day, it means rain for 40 days.
‘St. Swithin’s day, gif ye do rain,
for forty days it will remain;
St. Swithin’s day, an ye be fair,
for forty days ’twill rain nae mair.’
1869 Hippolyte Mege Mouries patented margarine. Emperor Napoleon III had offered a prize for a suitable substitute for butter, for use by the French Navy.
1907 Orville Redenbacher was born. (Date is listed variously as the 15th or 16th). Founder of the gourmet popcorn company.
1931 ‘Kid Chocolate’ (Elgio Saldana) becomes Cuba’s first world boxing champion after defeating Benny Bass for the Jr. Lightweight Championship.
1945 Peter Lewis of the music group ‘Moby Grape’ was born.