July 15th is National Gummy Worms Day!
Posted on July 15, 2018
Here are today’s five thing to know about Candy:
- The first chocolate eggs were made in Europe in the early 19th century and remain among the most popular treats associated with Easter.
- The celebration of Halloween started in the United States as an autumn harvest festival. In pioneer days, some Americans celebrated Halloween with com-popping parties, taffy pulls and hayrides.
- In the late nineteenth century, with the large influx of Irish immigrants into the U.S., Halloween became associated with ghosts, goblins and witches.
- The winter holidays represent the biggest boxed chocolate selling season.
- Ninety percent of parents admit to sneaking goodies from their kids’ Halloween trick-or-treat bags.
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
9th or 10 century St. Swithin’s Day. If it rains on St. Swithin’s Day, it means rain for 40 days.
‘St. Swithin’s day, gif ye do rain,
for forty days it will remain;
St. Swithin’s day, an ye be fair,
for forty days ’twill rain nae mair.’
1869 Hippolyte Mege Mouries patented margarine. Emperor Napoleon III had offered a prize for a suitable substitute for butter, for use by the French Navy.
1907 Orville Redenbacher was born. (Date is listed variously as the 15th or 16th). Founder of the gourmet popcorn company.
1931 ‘Kid Chocolate’ (Elgio Saldana) becomes Cuba’s first world boxing champion after defeating Benny Bass for the Jr. Lightweight Championship.
1945 Peter Lewis of the music group ‘Moby Grape’ was born.