September 20th is National Rum Punch Day!
Here are today’s five thing to know about Rum:
- Rum was manufactured, distilled, and made long before any other spirit. It’s history is a vast one filled with stories, and fables. It was the first branded spirit made.
- Rations of rum were given to sailors in the British Army to be mixed with lime juice because it fought off the scurvy.
- When wealthy titles were given to parsons, they were thanked with a glass of rum.
- In Australia, the rum hospital can recognize rum as it as its chief contributor of revenues that were generated via the rum exports they were known for.
- Triangular trade was introduced as slaves were traded for rum, sugars, and other items that were all carrying missionaries- this was known as ‘rum and bible.’
Today’s Food History
- 1842 Sir James Dewar was born. He invented the ‘Dewar Flask,’ the original ‘thermos bottle’.
- 1859 George B. Simpson patented the electric range.
- 1878 Upton Sinclair was born. His novel, ‘The Jungle,’ was a detailed horror story about the conditions in the meat packing industry of the time. It led to extensive reforms.
- 1890 Blues musician ‘Jelly Roll’ Morton was born.
- 1969 ‘Sugar, Sugar’ by the Archies hits Number 1 on the charts.