Did you know?
The 2 M’s in M&Ms stand for ‘Mars’ and ‘Murrie’ the creators of the candy
Here are today’s five thing to know about M&Ms:
- From 1976 to 1985, there were no red M&Ms
- Blue M&Ms were introduced in 1995.
- M&Ms were taken along on the first space shuttle voyage in 1982.
- There are 340 million M&M’s produced daily.
- The “M&M” was modeled after a candy Forrest Mars, Sr. encountered while in Spain during the 1930s. During the Spanish civil war there, he observed soldiers eating chocolate pellets with a hard shell of tempered chocolate. This prevented the candies from melting, which was essential when included in soldiers rations as they were.
Today’s Food History
National Yorkshire Pudding Day
St. Colman’s Day, patron of cattle and horses.
- 54 A.D. Tiberius Claudius Drusus Nero Germanicus, Emperor of Rome A.D. 41-54, died by poisoning. Known as Claudius I, supposedly he was poisoned with mushrooms by his wife Agrippina, after her son Nero was named as his heir.
- 2006 Six Flags theme park in Gurnee, Illinois holds a live cockroach eating contest.