November 15th is National Raisin Bran Day!
Here are today’s five things to know about Raisin Bran Cereal:
“Skinner’s Raisin Bran” was the first bran brand on the market, introduced in the United States in 1926 by U.S. Mills.
During his incarceration, former Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein preferred Raisin Bran cereal for breakfast given by his American prison guards.
The first cold breakfast cereal, Granula, was invented in the United States in 1863 by James Caleb Jackson, operator of Our Home on the Hillside which was later replaced by the Jackson Sanatorium in Dansville, New York.
Twenty-six percent of Americans snack on cereal during the day; 61 percent of that group is women.
Kellogg’s was the first company to advertise on the Times Square billboard in New York.
Today’s Food History
- 1660 Asser Levy from Portugal, applied for a license to sell kosher meat. He was the first kosher butcher in New Amsterdam (New York).
- 1849 The first poultry show in the U.S. was held on November 15-16 in Boston, Massachusetts. 1,423 birds were exhibited by 219 exhibitors.
- 1868 James Mayer de Rothschild died (born May 15, 1792). European banker and founder of the French branch of the Rothschild family. In 1868 he acquired the famous Chateau Lafite vineyards in Bordeaux, France.
- 1882 Felix Frankfurter, U. S. Supreme Court justice, was born.
- 1904 King Camp Gillette was issued U.S. patent No. 775,134 for his disposable razor (applied for on Dec 3, 1901).
- 1952 ‘Jambalaya (On The Bayou)’ by Hank Williams was number one on the country music charts.
- 1964 Bernard Frank died (born March 7, 1902). American forester and conservationist, he was one of the eight co-founders of the Wilderness Society.
- 1967 Elmer McCollum died. He was a chemist who discovered vitamins A, B and D.
- 1969 The first color TV commercial in Britain was aired, for Birdseye Peas.
- 1969 Dave Thomas opened the first Wendy’s Hamburger restaurant in Columbus, Ohio.
Check out my book!
Categories: Food Holidays, November Food Holidays, Uncategorized
Tagged: National Raisin Bran Day
You must be logged in to post a comment.