Here are today’s Top Five Christmas Food:
- Apple cider
- Egg nog
- Christmas cookies
- Cranberry sauce
- Christmas ham
Today’s Pinterest Board : Foodimentary
Today’s Food History
- 1492 Columbus sighted the island he names Hispaniola (Now consisting of Haiti and the Dominican Republic).
- 1866 The 2 mile long, 5 foot diameter Chicago Lake Tunnel was completed. It was the first water supply tunnel for a U.S. city.
- 1872 Felix Archimede Pouchet died. A French naturalist, he was one of those who believed that life was created from nonliving matter in processes such as fermentation and putrefaction. Those flies and maggots, fungi, yeast and bacteria just appeared from nowhere. (He was wrong.)
- 1877 Thomas A. Edison made the first sound recording “Mary had a little lamb”
- 1931 Catharine Furbish died. An American botanist, she spent almost 40 years traveling and painting very accurate watercolors of the flora of the state of Maine.
- 1945 The microwave oven was patented.
- 2006 An outbreak of illness from the dangerous E. Coli 0157:H7 was reported, with green onions as the suspected cause. Cases were reported in New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, South Carolina, and Utah.