Here are today’s five things to know about carrot cake:
Carrots were first cultivated in north Africa & the Mediterranean. They originally were purple or grey in color. Introduced to Europe around 1000 years ago.
The weed/flower Queen Anne’s Lace is actually a wild carrot.
Jello in the 1930’s offered ‘carrot pie’ flavored gelatin.
People first grew carrots as medicine, not food, for a variety of ailments.
Carrots are one of the rare vegetables which are more nutritious cooked than raw.
Today’s Food History
- 1468 RIP Johannes Gutenberg, inventor of moveable type printing. Inspired by the screw presses used in winemaking.
- 1815 The world’s 1st commercial cheese factory was established in Switzerland.
- 1913 The 16th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution was ratified. It gave Congress the power to levy taxes on income. In 1913 less than 1% of the population paid income tax at the rate of 1%. Before this taxes were acquired primarily on food, merchandise sales, etc.
- 1916 The Cafe Voltaire opened in Zurich, Switzerland, a meeting place for members of what was to be known as the Dada movement.
- 1959 The day the music died. Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens & J.P. Richardson (The Big Bopper) are killed in a plane crash near Mason City, Iowa.