Here are today’s five thing to know about Cheese:
- Did you know that there are over 2,000 varieties of cheeses?
- The #1 cheese recipe in America is “Macaroni and Cheese”.
- What appears to be the remains of cheese has been found in Egyptian tombs over 4,000 years old!
- The terms “Big Wheel” and “Big Cheese” originally referred to those who were wealthy enough to purchase a whole wheel of cheese.
- Chevre is French for goat and refers to cheese made from goat’s milk.
Today’s Food History
- 1906 Joseph Farwell Glidden died. Glidden, an Illinois farmer, received a patent for the first commercial barbed wire on November 24, 1874. The beginning of the end to open range and the cowboy. Glidden formed the Barb Fence Company with Isaac L. Ellwood, and became one of the wealthiest men in the country.
- 1941 Carmen Miranda recorded ‘The Man with the Lollipop Song.’
- 1946 ‘The Iceman Cometh’ opened in New York City.
- 1985 Strawberry Fields, a 2 1/2 acre garden memorial in New York City’s Central Park, was dedicated to John Lennon.
- 1996 World’s largest grilled cheese sandwich was made, 3,000 pounds.