Five Food Finds about Mai Tai
- The Zombie was the Cosmopolitan of its day. The Zombie was the drink that put tiki on the map.
- In 1959 the Mai Tai knocked the Zombie off its pedestal.
- That’s the year Hawaii became a state.
- Hawaii became a tourist mecca almost overnight.
- All the tourists went to luaus and sere served a fruity drink called the Mai Tai.
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
1895 A U.S. patent was issued for an electric stove.
1906 The Pure Food & Drug Act and the Meat Inspection Act were passed by Congress.
1930 Judge Joseph F. Crater of the New York State Supreme Court, walked out of a 45th Street restaurant in New York City on his way to the theater. He was never heard from again.
1936 Congress approved the 40-hour work week.
1966 Mike Tyson was born. On June 28, 1997, Tyson bit off a big chunk of Evander Holyfield’s ear in the 3rd round of a boxing match. Tyson was disqualified.
1985 James A. Dewar, died. The creator of the Twinkie (1930),
1996 Dr. Edward Anton Asselbergs died. (Exact date uncertain). He developed the process for making instant mashed potato flakes, the patent that is still used world-wide today
You must be logged in to post a comment.