June 20th is National Vanilla Milkshake Day / The most popular flavor in the world, of course!
Happy National Vanilla Milkshake Day!🍦+🥛=😋
Five Food Finds about Vanilla Milkshakes:
- The first known printed reference to a “milkshake” dates back to 1885. It contained one part whiskey, ‘for medicinal purposes’.
- ‘Shakes’ got their name from being served in bars. If the customer enjoyed the specialty drink, he shook hands with the bartender. If not, the bartender wouldn’t get a tip.
- The first diner milkshakes were made with a mixture of milk, malt and a flavoring(vanilla, chocolate, etc.). The malt added an ‘ice cream’ texture to the drink.
- The electric blender was invented in 1922 JUST for the making of milkshakes. amilkshake are referred to as a “frappe” (the e is silent)
- In parts of New England, a milkshake is often referred to as a “frappe” (the e is silent)
Today’s Food History
- 1861 Sir Frederick Gowland Hopkins was born. He discovered what we now call ‘vitamins,’ essential nutrients needed to maintain health.
- 1948 The TV show ‘Toast of the Town’ premiers on CBS with Ed Sullivan as the host.
- 1964‘Chapel of Love’ by Dixie Cups is #1 on the charts
- 1977 The trans-Alaska oil pipeline opened. It takes oil 38 days to travel 800 miles from the fields in Prudhoe Bay to the port of Valdez.
You must be logged in to post a comment.