Posted on November 7, 2015
Here are today’s five thing to know about Bittersweet Chocolate with Almonds:
- Chocolate manufacturers use 40% of the worlds almonds (2008).
- California produced 998 million pounds of almonds in 2004. The largest crop on record was in 2002, with 1.084 billion pounds.
- It takes 1000 pounds of almonds to make 1 pint of almond oil.
- The world’s largest almond factory is in Sacramento, California. It processes 2 million pounds of almonds a day.
- Japanese teenagers enjoy snacking on a mixture of dried sardines and slivered almonds.
Today’s Pinterest Board : Foodimentary
Today’s Food History
- 1857 H.N. Wadsworth received the first American toothbrush patent.
- 1872 The ‘Mary Celeste’ sailed for Genoa from New York with a cargo of 1700 barrels of alcoholic spirits. The ship was found abandoned near the Azores, the captain, his wife and daughter and 7 crewmen missing, and no sign of violence. The captain, his family and the crew were never seen again.
- 1913 Alfred Russel Wallace died. Wallace was a British naturalist who developed a theory of natural selection independently of Charles Darwin. He sent his conclusions to Darwin, and their findings were both presented to the Linnaean Society in 1858.
- 1965 The Pillsbury Doughboy, ‘Poppin’ Fresh,’ was born. He made his debut in a commercial for crescent rolls.
- 2006 The Nevada Clean Indoor Air Act was approved by state voters. It bans smoking in all bars and restaurants. It becomes effective on December 8.
Check out my book!