Happy National Chocolate Covered Peanuts Day
Here are today’s five thing to know about Chocolate Covered Peanuts:
- The original chocolate covered peanut candy are Goobers first sold in 1925. The word “Goober” was a common slang word for peanut.
- Peanut M & M’s were not introduced until 1954. They were tan until 1960 when colors were first introduced.(yellow, green, & red)
- Rapper, Eminem’s original stage name was M & M, his name was eventually changed for obvious trademark issues.
- The initials M & M stand for the Forrest Mars from Mars Candies and Bruce Murrie from Hershey Chocolates.
- In 1976 red M & M’s were replaced with orange. The red dye(red #2) was ruled to be a potential carcinogen. Red did not return until 1987.
“M & M’s, the chocolates that melt in your mouth nor in your hand” first used in 1954
Extra: It is said that M & M’s were tan in color for decades because if they DID melt in your hand it would not show
Today’s Pinterest Board : Foodimentary
Today’s Food History
- 1904 Adelle Davis was born. Nutritionist, and author of ‘Let’s Eat Right to Keep Fit.’ She promoted many theories that have been labeled as unfounded and dangerous by the medical community.
- 1918 Wartime food rationing began in parts of England
- 1922 Donald McLean was born. McLean was a Scottish potato expert who supposedly discovered the world’s largest private collection of potatoes, with 367 varieties.
- 1934 RIP Elizabeth Gertrude Knight Britton, an American botanist, she helped establish the New York Botanical Gardens.
- 1950 RIP George Richard Minot, American physician, Minot was one of the developers of the ” raw-liver diet ” used to treat pernicious anemia.
Check out my book!
You must be logged in to post a comment.