Here are today’s five food finds about Chocolate Truffles:
- According to the legend, the chocolate truffle was created by Louis Dufour in Chambery, France in 1895.
- Historians believe that chocolate truffles burst in popularity because across the street from Louis Dufour’s chocolate truffle shop was the Prestat Chocolate Shop.
- Roald Dahl was a big fan of Prestat truffles!
- There are three types of truffles: American, European and Swiss.
- The first recipe for a chocolate truffle appears in a cookbook from the 1920s.
Today’s Food History
- 1878 At 7 a.m., the Washburn A flour mill in Minneapolis exploded, sending the roof 500 feet in the air. 18 workers were killed and seven other flour mills were also destroyed.
- 1885 Good Housekeeping magazine begins publication. Founded by Clark W. Bryan, the magazine was purchased by Hearst publishing in 1911.
- 1934 Sergey Vasilyevich Lebedev died. A Russian chemist who developed a method for large scale production of synthetic rubber. Production of polybutadiene was begun in 1932 using potatoes and limestone as raw materials.