Here are today’s five thing to know about Noodles:
- Dry noodles are considered a form of unleavened bread
- In China archaeologists discovered the world’s oldest bowl of noodles, thought to be over 4000 years old. They were made of millet flour.
- “Instant” noodles were invented in 1958. They are flash fried then quickly dried. This made for a long shelf life.(If they are kept dry, some say they will remain edible for decades)
- Over 40% of the flour in Asia is used to make noodles. Feeding over half of the world’s population.
- Thomas Jefferson brought the first “macaroni” noodles to America in 1789 after returning from a trip to France.
Today’s Pinterest Board : Foodimentary
Today’s Food History
- 1791 Samuel Mulliken of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania received a patent for a machine to thresh corn and grain.
- 1853 Self rising flour was supposedly invented by Henry Jones of Bristol.
- 1903 Lawrence Welk, champagne music-maker, was born.
Check out my book!
Tagged: national eat your noodles day
You must be logged in to post a comment.