National Bittersweet Chocolate with Almonds Day
Five Food Finds about Almonds
- Chocolate manufacturers use 40% of the worlds almonds (2008).
- California produced 998 million pounds of almonds in 2004. The largest crop on record was in 2002, with 1.084 billion pounds.
- It takes 1000 pounds of almonds to make 1 pint of almond oil.
- The world’s largest almond factory is in Sacramento, California. It processes 2 million pounds of almonds a day.
- Japanese teenagers enjoy snacking on a mixture of dried sardines and slivered almonds.
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
1857 H.N. Wadsworth received the first American toothbrush patent.
1872 The ‘Mary Celeste’ sailed for Genoa from New York with a cargo of 1700 barrels of alcoholic spirits. The ship was found abandoned near the Azores, the captain, his wife and daughter and 7 crewmen missing, and no sign of violence. The captain, his family and the crew were never seen again.
1913 Alfred Russel Wallace died. Wallace was a British naturalist who developed a theory of natural selection independently of Charles Darwin. He sent his conclusions to Darwin, and their findings were both presented to the Linnaean Society in 1858.
1965 The Pillsbury Doughboy, ‘Poppin’ Fresh,’ was born. He made his debut in a commercial for crescent rolls.
2006 The Nevada Clean Indoor Air Act was approved by state voters. It bans smoking in all bars and restaurants. It becomes effective on December 8.
You must be logged in to post a comment.