National Artichoke Day
Five Food Finds for Artichokes
- The artichoke is the unopened “flower” bloom of a thistle plant.
- A medium sized globe artichoke is fat free and has only 25 calories.
- 3% of the world’s herbal tea consumption is dried artichoke tea.
- 40% of the world’s artichokes are canned or jarred.
- California is known as the artichoke capital of the world. They supply nearly 100% of North American fresh artichokes.
Daily Food Quote
“After all the trouble you go to, you get about as much actual “food” out of eating an artichoke as you would from licking 30 or 40 postage stamps.” – Miss Piggy
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
1915 Absinthe is outlawed in France and several other countries. Absinthe was a licorice/anise flavored liqueur that contained wormwood, and was 132 proof. The high alcohol content, and the presence of the toxic oil thujone from the wormwood, often causing hallucinations, convulsions, and severe mental problems amongst hard core absinthe drinkers. Absinthe is now legal in the European Union.
1975 RIP T-Bone Walker, blues guitarist
1990 A Third Michelin star was awarded to Restaurant Louis XV in the Hotel de Paris. Chef Alain Ducasse, 33, is the youngest chef ever to have his restaurant receive 3 stars.
You must be logged in to post a comment.