Here are today’s five thing to know about Food:
- Buffets are offered at various places including hotels and many social events.
- Sideboards are also known as buffets as they may be used to offer the dishes of a buffet meal to guests.
- A buffet can also be referred to as a cafeteria, snack bar, counter and smorgasbord.
- The word buffet comes from Fr bufet “bench, stool, sideboard”, from the 12th century. The definition of buffet was extended to mean a “meal served from a buffet” in 1888.
- One form of buffet is to have a table filled with plates containing fixed portions of food; customers select plates containing whichever food items they want as they walk along.
Today’s Food History
- 1754 William Bligh was born. He became captain of the English ship, ‘Bounty,’ and while sailing to Tahiti to bring back breadfruit trees, the most famous mutiny in history took place.
- 1890 Harland Sanders was born near Henryville, Indiana. Founder of Kentucky Fried Chicken fast food restaurant chain.
- 1901 Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec died. French artist who documented Parisian night life in the 1890s with his insightful posters.
- 1995 Orville Redenbacher died. Founder of gourmet popcorn company.
- 1999 ‘Catfish’ Hunter, baseball pitcher, died.